In 1950, 19-year old Kyoichi Tanaka was employed at Tamamizuya optical shop and first heard of contact lenses from the wife of a U.S. Army officer.
From this encounter, through his own research, he developed the first corneal contact lens in Japan in 1951.
A commemorative plaque has been erected at Tamamizuya (Nishiki, Naka-ku, Nagoya) to mark the birth of this medical device that has earned a place in the history of the twentieth century.
1950 - 1969 / Starting from zero
- Invented the first practical corneal contact lenses in Japan.
- Nippon Contact Lens Research Institute founded.
- Nippon Contact Lens Co., Ltd. founded.
- Company renamed Toyo Contact Lens Co., Ltd.
- “Menicon” registered as a trademark.
1970 - 1989 / Soaring Creativity
- Menicon 8 introduced to market.
- Menicon Soft introduced to market.
- Intraocular lenses developed.
- Menicon Europe S.A. founded in France.
Menicon Soft International Research Symposium held to commemorate company’s 25th anniversary.
- Menicon O2 introduced.
Menicon O2 Care introduced to market.
- International Research Symposium held to commemorate company’s 30th anniversary.
Menicon O2-SP oxygen-permeable GP contact lens introduced to market.
- Menicon Seki Factory established.
- Toyo Contact Lens Co., Ltd. and Menicon Co., Ltd.
merge to become Menicon Co., Ltd.
Menicon GmbH founded in Germany.
- Menicon Soft MA introduced to market.
1990-1999 / The Quality Challenge
- Menicon Super EX introduced to market.
International Symposium held to commemorate company’s 40th anniversary.
Sponsored Menicon Super Concert.
- Menicon Soft 72 introduced to market.
Menicon Pharma SAS founded in France.
- Menicon Pharma factory established.
- Menicon becomes official supplier for Japan Professional Football League.
Gallery Menio opened.
Menicon Soft S introduced to market.
Colored IOL(intraocular lenses) introduced to market.
- New head office building completed.
Special sponsorship begun for Menicon Cup(Japan Club Youth Soccer East-West Match U-15).
The R&D Center founded.
Manufacture of Meni-One Lens IOL for dogs, approved.
- Menicon Professorship established at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (America).
Menicon Team SARD formed to compete in 24 Hours of Le Mans and Suzuka 1000-km races.
Certified ISO9001, ISO13485 and CE mark.
Menicon home page opened.
- Menicon Z introduced to market.
Meni-One Lens IOL for dogs, introduced to market.
Meni Flex intraocular lenses introduced to market.
- Medical supplies for ophthalmological treatment introduced to market.
- “Giving Light to Guide Dogs with Cataracts” campaign launched.
2000-2009 / Innovation to the world
- Plaque displayed at Tamamizuya commemorating the site as the “birthplace of contact lenses” in Japan.
Menifocal introduced to market.
Hidenari Tanaka appointed as President.
- Menicon España S.L. founded in Spain.
Menicon America Inc. founded in the USA.
MELS Plan, member-only system launched.
International Symposium held to commemorate 50th anniversary.
- Menicon Techno Station founded.
Monthwear introduced to market. Menicon O2 CARE NEO introduced to market.
Meni-One Contact Lens for therapy introduced to market.
- Meni-One Co. Ltd. founded.
Menicon Holdings Europe founded in France.
- New PROTEOFF introduced to market.
Menicon UK Ltd. founded.
- EPICA HEAT SYSTEM introduced to market.
Menicon 1Day introduced to market.
Menicon-Mandarin Asia Pte. Ltd. founded in Singapore.
O2 CARE MILPHA FRESH introduced to market.
Monthwear Toric introduced to market.
EPICA CLEAR introduced to market.
Obtained PrivacyMark certification.
- EPICA COLD introduced to market.
NKL Contactienzen of Holland acquired.
Avancy, a foldable intraocular lens, introduced to market.
- Menicon Tinu introduced to market.
- 2WEEK Menicon PremiO introduced to market.
Menicon Selest introduced to market.
- EPICA COLD AQUA MORE introduced to market.
2WEEK Menicon PremiO Toric introduced to market.
2WEEK Menicon DUO introduced to market.
David Thomas Contact Lenses Ltd. of the U.K. acquired.
2010-The Future / Toward a Global Corporation
- Menicon Nect converted to subsidiary.
Lagado Corporation. Co., Ltd. of the USA acquired.
Introduced committee-based executive officer system, separating oversight functions from business functions.
Menicon China Co., Ltd. founded.
- Singapore Factory established.
2WEEK Menicon Bifocals introduced to market.
Ceremony held to commemorate 60th anniversary.
Magic 1day Menicon Flat Pack introduced to market.
W.I. System Inc. converted to subsidiary.
Name of Menicon Holdings Europe changed to Menicon SAS (France).
DARUMA OPTICA S.L. founded in Spain.
SARL LABORATOIRE TOURS CONTACT (LTC) of France, a chain store handling prescription service and general retail, acquired.
- 2WEEK Menicon Attention introduced to market.
Gallery Menio and HITOMI Hall opened.
Antibacterial O2 CARE MILPHA introduced to market.
Miru 1 month Menicon introduced to market.
- O2 CARE AMINO-SORA introduced to market.
Miru 1day Menicon Flat Pack introduced to market.
(As of Mar. 2013 )